WHO WE ARE
The Absentee Shawnee Economic Development Authority, Inc. (ASEDA) is a federally chartered corporation wholly owned by the Absentee Shawnee Tribe of Oklahoma. Our Headquarters are currently located in Shawnee, Oklahoma. ASEDA serves as a holding company for revenue generating businesses and economic development operations such as the Thunderbird Express Convenience store and travel stop, with a strategic plan formulated to build a diversified portfolio of competitive businesses to operate in public, private, and commercial sector(s) and markets.
A five member Corporate Board of Directors is responsible for the oversight and direction of ASEDA, Inc. Strategies established by the board are executed by the Executive Director.
An Economic Development Engine providing Job Growth, New Revenues and Capacity Building for Tribal & Community Constituents.
We help our Tribe, Members & Community build Hope, Quality of Life & Ultimately become fully Self-Realized.
In an effort to strengthen and develop the depressed economic region of Indian country within the jurisdiction of the Absentee Shawnee Tribe, the Absentee Shawnee Economic Development Authority, Inc. was formed to:
- Operate tribally owned commercial businesses located on tribal lands whether owned in fee or held in trust for the benefit of the tribe.
- To provide job opportunities for members of the Absentee Shawnee Tribe in or near the Tribe’s Indian country and which would utilize the talents of the members and provide adequate incomes on a long term basis.
- To provide for the efficient and effective utilization of the resources of the Tribe’s Indian country in a manner which protects the long-term interests of the Absentee Shawnee Tribe and which provides an adequate return on investment and an income to the Tribe from the utilization of those resources.
- To own, invest in, operate or manage businesses within or without the Tribe’s Indian Country.
- Absentee Shawnee General Council creates and authorizes the operation of the Absentee Shawnee Economic Development Authority through resolution AST-GC-88-03
- Resolution No. AS-89-35. A resolution duly adopted by the Executive Committee of the Absentee Shawnee Tribe of Oklahoma enacting the Absentee Shawnee Tribe of Oklahoma Economic Development Authority.
- Economic Development Authority Board approves the Economic Development Act of 2000.
- Legislative Resolution AS-2000-41. A resolution duly adopted by the Executive Committee of the Absentee Shawnee Tribe of Oklahoma enacting the Economic Development act of 2000.
- Executive Resolution NO. E-AS-2001-08. A resolution duly adopted by the Executive Committee of the Absentee Shawnee Tribe of Indians of Oklahoma petitioning the Secretary of the Interior to issue a federal charter of incorporation to the tribe for the Absentee Shawnee Economic Development Authority, Inc.
- Assistant Secretary of the Bureau of Indian Affairs approves the federal corporate charter for use by the Absentee Shawnee Tribe and its enterprise, Absentee Shawnee Economic Development Authority, Inc. To become effective upon ratification by the Tribe.
- The federal corporate charter for the Absentee Shawnee Economic Development Authority, Inc becomes ratified by special election and takes effect.
The Absentee Shawnee Economic Development Authority, Inc. (ASEDA, Inc.) logo was envisioned and created by Absentee Shawnee Tribal Member and ASEDA, Inc. Projects Coordinator, David Deer.
The focal point of the design showcases the hardworking hands of a prosperous Absentee Shawnee Tribal businessperson. The blazer and pin-stripped shirt depicts success. The clasped hands firmly holding the revered eagle feather signifies a unique correlation between our native culture and the business partnership between the Absentee Shawnee Tribe and its wholly owned entity, the Absentee Shawnee Economic Development Authority, Inc.
In the background a pair of stars shooting across the heavenly sky paying homage to two important leaders of the Shawnee, Tecumseh and his younger brother Tenskwatawa. The glowing moon represents the Creator, who is the guiding light and provider of all things for the Absentee Shawnee.